IL - Gilberts - Cub Scouts Space Camp - 9/8/12

Post by Whinter »

Cub Scout Space Camp
Camp Tomo Chi Chi – Gilberts, IL
September 8, 2012

Tour of Duty:
Neil Auer (3446) – Stormtrooper
Cheryl Whitaker (3127) – Scout

We arrived at Camp Tomo Chi Chi nice and early, checked in with our contact and snuck into one of the buildings with our gear until it was time to make our entrance. Neil’s son (Gehrig) was with us as well, costuming as Podracer Anakin. We were there to add flair to the water rocket launches, take photos with the scouts, and just hang out with them for a while.

We made our entrance to the Imperial March, walking across the field to the launch area, where all the Scouts were watching with surprised faces. Once several photos were taken, we were given the opportunity to launch our own Imperial Water Rocket, complete with Imperial Cog on the side of it. Anakin (Gehrig) triggered the actual launch and the rocket took off like a shot! I have to say it was one of the best launches I saw that day!
Once the rocket launch was done, the Scouts departed in several different groups to work on their own rockets and other projects. We visited each group briefly, took a little walk around the camp, watched a few more rocket launches and then made our exit.

I only have a few photos right now, but am waiting for more from our contact shortly. They also collected funds for charity, but I haven’t heard back on the total and to what charity they are donating it to. Of course, I will post that information here as soon as I know.

Thanks to Neil and Gehrig for coming out to this with me. We had a great time and might even end up with a new member out of it! After the event we talked a little more with our contact (Rick) and he told us how he found out about us. The first time he saw us was last year about this time, outside a store in Algonquin. Well, when we put two and two together, we realized that it was the MSABC Donation Station last year that we did, and it was Neil and I (and Steve Gaza) that he saw there. Funny how things work out.

Anyway, here are the pics that I have:
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... ?start=all

Runnin'6712
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 6712

Re: IL - Gilberts - Cub Scouts Space Camp - 9/8/12

Post by Runnin'6712 »

ToD updated

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

As I recall...you had a really beautiful day weatherwise...
and it looked like a great place to "play"...

will check back for charitible donation...
:wink:

Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3127

Post by Whinter »

I was just thinking about that again this morning. I heard back from him last weekend and he said that he would get back to me with the amount (they were gathering more collections), but I never heard back. The only thing he told me is that it was going to Make A Wish.

Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3127

Post by Whinter »

Charity Donation Information is in...
Hi there,

After collecting all the donations the total is $82.00.

I'm still awaiting pictures but I will defiantly send them to you as I get them.

Thanks,
Rick Comeaux
They are donating to Make-A-Wish. :thumbs: