Moderator: Garrison Officers

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 4034

IL-Naperville/60565 - Katie's TK Presentation - SAT 10/27/12

Post by gazmosis »

It was truly a proud day for the Midwest Garrison and the 501st. Members of the 501st rallied to make a little girl's dream come true by donating money and materials toward the construction of Stormtrooper armor for Katie "The Star Wars Girl". On Saturday October 27, 2012, Katie and her Mom, Carrie, arrived at Steve Gaza's house to an aisle constructed of 8 mighty TK's leading right to Darth Vader and A member of his officers team and the Imperial March over the stereo. Neither Katie nor her Mom was aware that that turned into an official troop and that so many members of the Garrison would be present. We felt that to completely understand the effort of the WORLD and to appreciate all that was done for her, the entire story was told to Katie. It was all very overwhelming to her and her apprehension was evident until the tote was opened and she saw the armor for the first time. Then came the magic question; "are you ready to suit up?" With the measurements provided by Carrie and the love and care taken by the build team, the armor fit her perfect. She was a natural. She reminded everyone how they felt when suiting up and seeing yourself for the first time. We took some great shots and after a short explanation of the do's, don'ts, can's and can not's of wearing TK armor, Katie and Carrie were on their way.
A list of donating members for all over the globe was attained and the names printed on the underside of the lid as a reminder of who helped make this dream come true. It was an honor that all the members of the build team (Javier Esqueda, Adriane Bean, Steve Mammen, Brian Troyan, and Steve Gaza) were present for Katie to meet and thank. It was also an honor to have the turnout for this little girl. Garrison members attending:
Jim Tampa-Darth Vader (SL 1020)
Dave Obidallah Imperial Officer (ID 4185)
Brian Troyan-TK (8968)
Steve Mammen-TK (7345)
Adriane Bean-TK (4541)
Carlos Mendoza-TK(5924)
Javier Esqueda-TK(265)
Matt McDonald-TK(8148)
Phyllis Schulte-TK(1951)
Steve Gaza-TK(4034)
Special thanks to Matt Frysztak (8596)for coming in from the Bloodfin Garrison in his TK to make the presentation more awesome!!!

Beans and her "mini-me"Image
All images from the day can be seen athttp://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... sentation/
Carrie presented us with a copy of her book, "Bullied" and a cope of one of her paintings. Both can be seen in the album
Last edited by gazmosis on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4185

Re: IL-Naperville/60565 - Katie's TK Presentation - SAT 10/2

Post by Kurodor »

I'm really glad I was able to be there for this. The look on Katie's face was just priceless when she saw the armor in the tub and then seeing herself wearing it.

My hats off to the build team. You all did an AMAZING job!!!

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by gazmosis »

I only had the list right there in front of me. I am sorry, Dave. T.O.D. fixed

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I'm ashamed I couldn't help or come out to help on this. Bucket's off to y'all.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4438

Post by TI4438 »

Definately a job well done. :cheers:

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

It was an honor to be allowed to participate .

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

It was a long, hard road filled with drama and suspense, but we were able to pull this off in only about five weeks from when Carrie first contacted Dean and I about it. Just absolutely fantastic work, troopers. Enormous thanks go to the other Build Team members who answered the call to action and were so willing to trim, glue, rivet, velcro, and snap together a dream for this little girl. We couldn't have found a more energized group of stormtroopers to do this, and I'm so glad that when the call was put out, that each one of you brought every ounce of your passion and talent to the project. I count myself lucky to been able to trim a few pieces and finish the boots; I just wish that I could have helped more. To each and every member who gave their time, money, materials and encouragement to make this happen, thank you.

If there's any question about which unit is the "Best Damned Garrison in the 501st," I think the the work that was done here is a shining example for others to follow. I count myself lucky to be in the company of such dedicated and selfless people. And I can't wait to see the next opportunity for us to rise to the challenge and top even this colossal effort.
Here's to the MWG! :cheers:
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4185

Post by Kurodor »

Fleetfang wrote:It was a long, hard road filled with drama and suspense, but we were able to pull this off in only about five weeks from when Carrie first contacted Dean and I about it. Just absolutely fantastic work, troopers. Enormous thanks go to the other Build Team members who answered the call to action and were so willing to trim, glue, rivet, velcro, and snap together a dream for this little girl. We couldn't have found a more energized group of stormtroopers to do this, and I'm so glad that when the call was put out, that each one of you brought every ounce of your passion and talent to the project. I count myself lucky to been able to trim a few pieces and finish the boots; I just wish that I could have helped more. To each and every member who gave their time, money, materials and encouragement to make this happen, thank you.

If there's any question about which unit is the "Best Damned Garrison in the 501st," I think the the work that was done here is a shining example for others to follow. I count myself lucky to be in the company of such dedicated and selfless people. And I can't wait to see the next opportunity for us to rise to the challenge and top even this colossal effort.
Here's to the MWG! :cheers:
So are you saying that first round of drinks at the formal is on you Brian?? I like where this is going!!!! :twisted:

On a serious note, I couldn't agree more. Lots of hard work and dedication was put into this. Everyone on the build team did such an amazing job and I wish I was able to help out as well. I'm glad I was able to be there for the presentation!!!!

Darth Spice
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7306

Post by Darth Spice »

This truly was a perfect example of how great the 501st can be, as well as how awesome it is when our members come together and decide something is going to happen. I too feel a bit sad about having to sit pine on this one, but I did put together a photo gallery and article to share with Star Wars collectors around the world. Great job people, you could see in the photos Katie was floored.

As far as being the "best" at anything, just take solice at being ONE of the best. After all these years I've learned being the best bears too much responsibility, and this is a hobby that's supposed to be fun. We need to just keep the focus on being ONE of the best vs. trying to outshine every Garrison around the globe, because there's no way any one group could outshine the Legion.
MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!

BE A DOG!

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

This just in: CHICAGO NOW ARTICLE

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

also up on the charity blog

http://501stlegioncharity.com/?page_id=6

trying to condense the entire story into 1,000 characters was indeed difficult...
characters includes spaces...

:blink:

I hope I covered the most important parts...

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by gazmosis »

Nice job Phyllis!

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

Another hit on the web with this recap of the story from Buzz60!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IstzxoKzCww

Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3127

Post by Whinter »

Darth Spice wrote: As far as being the "best" at anything, just take solice at being ONE of the best. After all these years I've learned being the best bears too much responsibility, and this is a hobby that's supposed to be fun. We need to just keep the focus on being ONE of the best vs. trying to outshine every Garrison around the globe, because there's no way any one group could outshine the Legion.
Agreed! NOBODY is the best at anything! But we ARE dang good! :P

Fantastic job everyone!!! :thumbs:

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

I never said we were the best. I said that what we accomplished sets a good example for people who aspire to be the best. It's a fine point, but I don't want anyone saying that I said something that I didn't say. ;) And for the record, I agree completely with you Spice and Cheryl. We always have to strive to be the best that we can be at whatever we do. That aspiration is what's important.

Here's another news article about it: http://www.dailydot.com/news/star-wars- ... st-legion/
(Apparently, I've gotten a promotion to "Legion leader"! Who knew? :lol: )

Runnin'6712
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 6712

Post by Runnin'6712 »

ToD updated. Great job everybody!! I'm sure this will be one of those days that you'll remember forever!! :thumbs: