My TD purchase. Need advice, guidance, boots.

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

TD30303
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 30303

My TD purchase. Need advice, guidance, boots.

Post by TD30303 »

Hello brothers-
Now that the family is sleeping, i have tons of questions. I had a chance to try everything on, and I must say i'm thrilled. Absolutely thrilled. Here are my initial thoughts/concerns. Please chime in if you have any advice. Please forgive me for being a complete Noob when it comes to the following questions, i looked on tuorials and couldn't find info on what i'm looking for. So here's my questions in order...

Helmet
-Do you have a preferred way of attaching the rubber along the bottom of the helmet lip?
-Before I attach it, I have a substantial sized head. So much so that when i turn the bucket sideways to put my head it it scrapes me to no end. Do you suggest doing a small shave at points in order to open the bucket up a little bit to fit my head in? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Arms
Arms seem to fit great, biceps may be just slightly snug, however, i think with proper compression gear that will fix it.

Torso
-My upper chest plate keeps popping over my abs plate. Any thoughts on how to prevent that from happening?

Legs-
Here's where we get dicy. My thighs and calves are snug. The calves velcro keeps poping open, and the thights need about a 1/4-1/2 inch more. Anyone out there expanded already built armor? would love any tips on this one.

Need to buy some boots (if anyone has a size 13 out there that are too beat up for a TK, i'd love to use them for my Sandy, and my neckseal is on the way, and all in all i'm off to an amazing start. Would love to hear your advice and thoughts. Thank you my brothers, can't wait to troop with you!

Vadersblade
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8310

Re: My TD purchase. Need advice, guidance, boots.

Post by Vadersblade »

TK24602 wrote:Hello brothers-
Now that the family is sleeping, i have tons of questions. I had a chance to try everything on, and I must say i'm thrilled. Absolutely thrilled. Here are my initial thoughts/concerns. Please chime in if you have any advice. Please forgive me for being a complete Noob when it comes to the following questions, i looked on tuorials and couldn't find info on what i'm looking for. So here's my questions in order...

Helmet
-Do you have a preferred way of attaching the rubber along the bottom of the helmet lip?
I have seen mostly glue used. I wanna say E6000 but I'm no expert on that. Might wanna poke on the FISD kids.
-Before I attach it, I have a substantial sized head. So much so that when i turn the bucket sideways to put my head it it scrapes me to no end. Do you suggest doing a small shave at points in order to open the bucket up a little bit to fit my head in? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Most helmets are like that if the bucket is small or the helmet is tight. My EIII bucket always tears up my forehead when I put it on. Be careful trimming, you don't wanna damage something you can't fix.

Arms
Arms seem to fit great, biceps may be just slightly snug, however, i think with proper compression gear that will fix it.

Torso
-My upper chest plate keeps popping over my abs plate. Any thoughts on how to prevent that from happening?
I have one set up with snaps attached to a backpack-like cord. The holders are glued, one to the ab, one to the chest. Plug them in and make it tight and it won't go anywhere.

Legs-
Here's where we get dicy. My thighs and calves are snug. The calves velcro keeps poping open, and the thights need about a 1/4-1/2 inch more. Anyone out there expanded already built armor? would love any tips on this one.
I know there's shims for chest/abs, but I'm not sure on the legs... Might be harder to do.

Need to buy some boots (if anyone has a size 13 out there that are too beat up for a TK, i'd love to use them for my Sandy, and my neckseal is on the way, and all in all i'm off to an amazing start. Would love to hear your advice and thoughts. Thank you my brothers, can't wait to troop with you!
Look forward to trooping with you too!

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 542

Post by Mr Fett »

TK24602 wrote:
Helmet
For this one I can say, yes....just keep shaving a little out around the neckline until you can squeeze your head into it sideways. The rubber strip can just be held in place by pressure, normally, and then glued at each end to the helmet.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

For the chest and ab sticking out. I put snap plates on the inside of my chest plate, and on my suspenders, it holds it in place.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TD30303
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 30303

Post by TD30303 »

Thanks for all the help guys. It's slow going, but I'm having a blast. still holding out hope that TKBoots gets back to me so i can get a pair overnighted to me so i can submit my photos and get trooping asap!

Thanks guys