Wanted to introduce myself

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 3697

Wanted to introduce myself

Post by PQ Higgins »

Just wanted to say a hello to everyone here.

My name is Patrick Higgins, and I recently applied for induction into the 501st MWG. I just recently finished what is my fourth Star Wars costume, this one being a Black Hole Stormtrooper, and decided to apply and put my love of everything Star Wars to a good cause. Other costumes I have done in order from the oldest to the most recent is Anakin Skywalker (AotC), Darth Vader, and Darth Maul. I took my Vader armor out recently and it took a beating in storage... I think the only salvageable parts from that are the helmet, which needs some cosmetic work, the upper armor minus the shoulders, and the calf armor... not to mention all the soft parts. I had a lot of fun with the Darth Maul costume, and it came out perfect, but the most recent Black Hole Trooper costume is my pride and joy.

Right now, my wife and I live in Joliet, IL. I currently bartend at the Fridays here in the local mall, but also am currently in my final year of school to get my degree in high school education.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better, hopefully I am not getting ahead of myself, but I'm just looking forward to joining your ranks!

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Welcome, Patrick!

The next step is getting your wife in armor, too! ;)

TheKid
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Post by TheKid »

su'cuy ner'vod welcome...the correct term for the "Black Hole" Trooper is Shadow trooper...sorry im OCD about that lol but welcome
"Remove your helmet"
"This is never going to work"
"Roger Roger"
"Uh-oh"
"Roger Roger"
*Blaster Fire*
Commander Cody, Capt. Rex, Commando Droid(Epi. 3 Animated Series)

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by PQ Higgins »

I prefer Shadowtrooper as well... I just used that term because the email I received from the GML used the term "Black Hole Trooper", so I went with that.

As for the wife getting in armor... as much as she likes me doing this, and likes Star Wars... I don't see her doing it. Although down the road if anyone would like to help me try and convince her, they are welcome to lol!

Darth Raizzar
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6312

Post by Darth Raizzar »

Welcome to the MWG Patrick,

Cool name, Irish?

Anyway, I've always found the Shadow troopers Ultra Cool, maybe I'll get a chance to see yours in an upcoming troop! 8)

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by PQ Higgins »

Most definitely Irish :)

Full name is Patrick Quinlan Higgins

Siblings are Erin, Ryan, Kevin, and Sarah... so yeah lol

Darth Raizzar
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6312

Post by Darth Raizzar »

Well, I guess you are! :lol: :lol: :lol:

From One Patrick, to another, Welcome to the MWG bud. 8) :D

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by PQ Higgins »

Thank you very much! Hopefully I get accepted (fingers crossed)
-Midwest Garrison Imperial Mirror

Targ
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 3853

Welcome Sith Lord

Post by Targ »

Welcome to the Madness that is the MWG! Lots of events going on North of you and South. Keep an eye out for events. We have a number of Sith Lords running about who can help you with your costumes.
Served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
Now serves as Mentor,
and Shadow Commander.

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by PQ Higgins »

Am I wrong in assuming that I cannot participate in events until I am a full member? I sent my photos to Damian a little less than a week ago and am just waiting to hear back on that, but if something was coming up and I was available, I wouldn't mind at all being able to participate.

I completely understand if there are policies/rules in place that would prevent this, so my feelings won't be hurt if that is, in fact, the case. Just looking for a little clarification whilst I wait to hear back from Damian.

Looking forward to trooping with you guys nonetheless. I got a wee taste of what it would be like while at work on Friday, since we got to get in costume at work, and since I finished mine before this, I figured bartending and walking around the restaurant for five hours would be a good indication of how it would be. Not to mention figuring out what straps would hold up and which ones wouldn't so I could see what needed tweaking, which turned out to be just a few. Also figured out that I needed some kind of padding along my chestplate to keep the bruising to a minimum when moving my arms across my body, although that might not be as huge an issue since I doubt when trooping I would be carrying plates and making drinks lol.

Just wanted to add that in reading through a lot of posts here, it seems like there are some really great people here.

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 542

Post by Mr Fett »

You can still go costume at any 501st costuming event with a Star Wars costume. Nobody is going to stop you, even if you aren't "official" yet. :)

Xyphis
Imperial Recruit

Post by Xyphis »

Welcome :)

I'm just up U.S. Route 6 from you, which is oddly described on Wikipedia as the "Grand Army of the Republic Highway"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_6_(Illinois)

Who knew ;)

Xyphis
Imperial Recruit

Post by Xyphis »

Ah, here it is:
Grand Army of the Republic Highway

Major William L. Anderson, Jr., of the U.S. Army conceived the idea of designating U.S. 6 the Grand Army of the Republic Highway to honor the Union forces during the Civil War. Based on his recommendation, the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War began promoting the idea in April 1934. Because the highway was owned by the States, the organization asked each State to act on the proposal. The first to do so was Massachusetts when Governor Charles F. Hurley signed a bill on February 12, 1937, naming the route. Over the years, the States gradually adopted the name. For example, California did so in 1943 and Indiana in 1946, while Governor James Duff of Pennsylvania named the State's segment of U.S. 6 in 1948.

A formal dedication of the Grand Army of the Republic Highway took place on May 3, 1953, in Long Beach. The occasion was a gathering of the five related service organizations, including the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The five organizations held their own meetings, but came together for the dedication on that Sunday afternoon to place a monument in front of the Municipal Auditorium:

GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC HIGHWAY
U.S. 6

This monument marks the western end of a coast to coast highway extending a distance of three thousand six hundred fifty-two miles through fourteen states. It was erected by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War in memory of the heroic services and unselfish devotion of the Union soldiers, sailors and marines who laid down their lives on the altar of sacrifice during the Civil War. National Highway first proposed by Major William L. Anderson, Jr., U.S.A. of Massachusetts. For what they did and dared, let us remember them today.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us6.htm

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by PQ Higgins »

Rt. 6... who knew lol. And yes, that is just a stone's throw away. I'm right off of Rt. 52/Jefferson St. and can see I-55 from my front door. Technically Joliet, but everyone assumes it is Shorewood.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

Welcome....I am a little more than a stone's throw...but I live in Mokena...

I will probably run into you at an event soon....
:wink: